If you’re making the decision to start a family, you’re probably feeling a mix of emotions. Excitement is definitely up there, but you’re also probably feeling pretty nervous, especially since this is a major life change you’ve never experienced before.
One of the most important decisions you have to make in the planning process is where. Where do you want your kids to call home? Where do you want to work for the next 18+ years of your life? What kind of community do you want your children to identify with? Everyone has a different version of what’s perfect for them and doing your research will help you figure out what that looks like. Clearly, if you’re reading this right now you’re on the right path!
If you like the south, warm weather and friendly people, East Cobb, Atlanta, might be the place for you. Previously named Georgia’s Best Place to Live, East Cobb is a town that’s known for giving its community members a true, small southern town feel. It’s home to about 175,000 residents that enjoy several educational, community-oriented and family-friendly benefits in a suburban paradise just 21 miles north of the big city.
We know there’s tons to do and take advantage of in Atlanta, which sometimes overshadows all the awesome small towns that surround it. Here’s a list of some of the most important things to consider for your big life adjustment.
Your Children Will be Set Up for Success.
You can rest easy knowing your child is getting a quality education throughout every year of grade school. When you move to East Cobb, chances are your elementary schooler will attend Murdock Elementary School. According to greatschools.org, Murdock Elementary School holds a 10/10 rating for high test score performance and year-to-year student progress. The exact same can be said for Dodgen Middle School and Walton High School. Walton offers a variety of Advanced Placement courses including everything from Chinese to Studio Art and more. This kind of diverse course load will increase your child’s chances of being accepted to their dream school down the road.
Georgia is also home to some of the best colleges and universities in the country. All Georgia residents are fortunate enough to pay in-state tuition at Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Georgia, Emory University and more.
There’s Tons to do Besides Work and School.
For a happy home life, it’s important to have things that your family does together or separately outside of the home. Luckily East Cobb has a ton of family-friendly destinations available to you before or after work hours.
- When the kids are home from school for summer break, grab a season pass to Six Flags White Water. A season pass will give you unlimited access to the park itself, discounted meals and private cabanas.
- Sign up for a family membership at the McCleskey-East Cobb Family YMCA. The YMCA is internationally known for being a safe place where your family can get healthy, make new friends and have fun. When you become a member you can enjoy discounts on programs like summer camp, child care and swim lessons. The best part is, your family can go for quality time together, or the parents can drop the kids off and get some “me” time during regular “Parents Night Out” events.
- Check out A.L. Burruss Nature Park. This park is great for hiking, but also for beginner off-road cyclists. Pack up the family bikes and get ready to hit the dirt for the first time together.
The Entire Family Can Have Fun Together.
When it’s finally time to bring a four-legged family member into the mix, the East Cobb appeal will increase even more as there are a ton of safe, pet-friendly things to do around town.
- Treat the whole family to a walk at the Whitewater Creek Trails. This beach-like wonderland in the middle of the woods will give you and the whole crew a sense of relaxation, no matter what time of year it is. It’s open to all, including the family pet!
- The East Cobb area clearly cares about your pets. They even have a bakery dedicated entirely to dogs! The Dog City Bakery is home to a variety of natural, healthy treats – including full-sized cakes!
- If your dog likes interacting with other dogs, check out one of Marietta’s many dog parks where pups of all sizes can enjoy each other’s company.
Save on Gas by Shopping Close to Home.
One of the many things that helped East Cobb earn its high rating is all the options for shopping within the community. Choose from a variety of grocery stores, restaurants, clothing shops, events and more when you visit The Avenue, Merchant’s Walk, Woodlawn Square Shopping Center or any of East Cobb’s popular shopping centers.
If raising your child in a community that understands the value of safety, education and fun sounds good to you, look no further than East Cobb.